[Samba] Incorrect password or unknown username error when accessing a share

Ashutosh Kamdar akamdar at gnsi.com
Thu Apr 21 18:57:36 GMT 2005

Hi,

I have configured Samba to be a part of a NT style domain. The machine was able to join the group fine (great support from this group. Thanks!). ADS or LDAP are not used and the configuration relies on the Windows PDC to perform user authentication.

Promblem 1)
When a user tries to access the samba server, a dialog box pops-up saying "Incorrect password or unknown username" for \\samba-server and prompts me for the user name password. When I put in <Domain-name>\username it logs me in fine. How can I avoid forcing the users to put in domain name before their username?

Problem 2)
After accessing the server, when I access a share on the server it prompts me for the user name password again. On putting the same user name password as earlier, this keeps on prompting me again as if it did not like the combination.
I have tried adding and removing users from /etc/passwd and smbpasswd but have the same problem over. Can someone help identify what is the right combination it is looking for or if there is anything I need to add to the smb.conf?

An extract of the smb.conf file is provided below for reference.

Your help on these issues is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ash

[global]
        dns proxy = no