[Samba] Windows caching Netbios names ??

Jakob Curdes jc at info-systems.de
Thu Apr 21 14:33:14 GMT 2005

Hello,

we have a setup with a main samba server an an emergency server which
synchronizes its data  via rsync. Recently, I got the idea to run the
emergency server under a different server name parallel to the main
server so that users can easily recover deleted files etc. This lead to
massive problems; the reason was that the clients randomly connected to
the main or the backup server !
The setup is essentialy this :

Main server :
DNS : mainserver.local.domain
IP : 192.168.2.1
NETBIOS name : MAINSERVER
- master browser
- domain master

Backup Server :
DNS : backupserver.local.domain
IP : 192.168.2.2
NETBIOS name : BACKUPSERVER
- no master browser
- no domain master

What happened is that I run the backup server as main server for one
evening while repairing the latter. I ran it under the ip and NETBIOS
anme of the name server. Then I switched back. The following day,
clients would randomly connect to the backup or main server like mad,
causing a lot of confusion. I was under the impression that the windows
clients follow the results of the WINS resolution for their connection
requests. But now I suspect they cache the MAC address an use this for
connecting. It cant't be the ARP cacghe itself because other services
(e.g. mail) have no problems connecting to the right server; it must be
specific to the Windows networking protocols.

Any idea what is happening or how this could be avoied ??

Yours,
Jakob Curdes