[Samba] samba PDC with nfs mount of homes

Alexander Lazarevich alazarev at itg.uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 20 19:17:51 GMT 2005

Hi,

samba-3.0.9-1.3E.2 on RHEL3-AS.

Let's say we have a samba 3 PDC (workgroup = testdomain) on linux.host.1,
and the passwd backend is NIS ypbind that binds to ypserv on liunx.host.2.
Further, linux.host.2 also runs samba 3, not as a PDC, but rather points
it's authentication to an NT4 PDC (workgroup = realdomain). Even further,
linux.host.2 also holds the user /home directories.

Now, if we NFS mount linux.host.2:/home onto linux.host.1, and then setup
the smb.conf on linux.host.1 to share out that NFS mount of /home, my
question is this: will samba on linux.host.2 be involved in any of the
authentication? I think it shouldn't be. Samba on linux.host.1 should
handle all the auth, right? Samba on linux.host.2 shouldn't even know that
anything is being shared out, right?

Thanks advanced,

Alex