[Samba] Re: Folder Redirection broken if access is from ACL only

grantb at WebDS grantb at webds.com.au
Wed Apr 20 03:28:29 GMT 2005

Some additional info on this that might help:

The problem is on Linux (various distribs (SLES8 and FC2) 2.4 and 2.6
Kernels), and Samba-3.0.11 on ext3 file systems mounted with
user_xattr,acl options.

This is not an ACL problem as such. Access to shares and the data within
is fine using ACLs. This is a particular problem only with folder
redirection onto a Samba share, where that access is controlled (either
at the root of the share or on any subdirectory in which you store
redirected folders) via ACLs only.

I've tested this using the "profile acls = yes" option also, as I
suspected windows may have being attempting similar access checks that
made this necessary for roaming profiles on Samba shares, but the
problem was still present.

It's easy to re-create.
1. Setup a test share
2. Setup permissions of the share directory:
   chown -R test_user test_dir;
3. Setup your Windows image to redirect folders to your test share (I
wont go into details on how to do this on the assumption you prolly
already know anyway)
4. Logon to your windows domain and check that folder redirection is
working. Logoff once you have achieved this.
5. Change the permissions so access is via ACLs only:
   chown -R root.root test_dir;
   setfacl -R -m test_user:rwx test_dir;
   setfacl -R -m default:test_user:rwx test_dir
6. Logon to your windows domain once again and windows is no longer able
to redirect folders to this share (IE's History folder is a good one to
experiment with).

Cheers, Grant