[Samba] Can't setup Windows Print Driver on Samba 3 Server

Luke samba at luke.bpa.nu
Tue Apr 19 22:19:09 GMT 2005

John H Terpstra wrote:

>On Wednesday 13 April 2005 16:28, Luke wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm trying to store a windows print driver on a samba 3 server (which is
>>sharing a pseudo PDF printer) so that windows users in the domain can
>>automatically have it installed (rather than having to choose a driver
>>from their computer manually). I've tried the methods outlined in the
>>samba howto but I can't get either of them to work. The one where you
>>use a windows machine to install the drivers onto the samba server
>>allows me to copy the drivers into the print$ share, however when I try
>>to click "OK" or "Apply" in the actual printer dialog box I get the
>>error "Permission Denied".
>>
>>Also trying to do it manually on the Samba server using "rpcclient -U
>><username> -c 'adddriver ....' gives me a WERR_ACCESS_DENIED error, even
>>when using the domain administrator as the username or the local root
>>account. I have a feeling I have not set up my print admin correctly in
>>

>Correct. You need administrative privilege to administer the printer drivers.
>Samba-3.0.11 and later allow you to give any user printer admin rights. Check
>http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf chapter on User
>Rights and Privileges.
>
>- John T.

(Sorry for sending one directly to you as well, I was expecting the
reply-to address to be set to the list address)

Yes the user has the correct permissions. Basically it copies the driver
files across to the print$ share (/etc/samba/drivers) from the host, but
then can not actually apply the change to the driver (ie: make it so
that the samba server references that driver).

Regards,
Luke