[Samba] Incorrect "This folder already contains a file named..." error

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Mon Apr 18 15:59:38 GMT 2005

I am trying to export a Fuse filesystem filesystem via Samba (Samba
3.0.7, latest CVS Fuse on kernel 2.6.10).  Fuse
(http://fuse.sourceforge.net) is a library and kernel module to allow
writing filesystems in userspace.

I'm having a problem, however, in one odd place.  Basically, the
export works, and files are readable.  However, when putting a new
file in via drag-and-drop, windows (XP) pops up a dialog saying that
the file already exists, and asking if it should it be replaced.
Needless to say, the file doesn't already exist.

I took a look at the logs and the sequence of filesystem events during
a drop looks basically like this:

  GETATTR /testfile returns ENOENT
    (20-30 getattr and getdirs for "/testfile", "/", and "/*" here -
    Samba does this for some reason)
  MKNOD /testfile
  GETATTR /testfile returns success

Now the popup happens: "This folder already contains a file named
testfile".  Along with an offer to replace the current zero-length
file with the one I'm dropping in.

"testfile" didn't exist before the drag-and-drop - something requested
the file be created after the I dropped the file in, but before the
popup happened.

I understand that there was a bug in Samba a while back that looked
like this, but it was fixed.  This problem seems to only happen with
Fuse, and using a regular filesystem works fine.  It's possible that
my filesystem program or Fuse itself is doing something unusual that
is confusing Samba.

Can someone point me in the right direction here?

Thanks,

David