[Samba] still ACL bug in 3.0.14a

Schaefer Jr, Thomas R. tom at umsl.edu
Sat Apr 16 15:00:19 GMT 2005

> Just making sure everyone knows before I get on the plane :-).
>
> You *must* have configured with --with-acl-support for this to
> successfully work with ACLs on 3.0.14a.
>
> If you don't you get the symptoms you're reporting.
>
> Jeremy.

Aaarrrggghhh!!

No no no, I can hardly believe this.  I've continued to fight with this from home last evening and this morning.  I have recompiled 3.0.14a on Solaris in a brand new fresh extract of the source code from the tar.gz distribution file.  smbd -b | grep -i acl run against the ealier samba's I was producing where I did not specify --with-acl-support shows this..

   HAVE_SYS_ACL_H
   HAVE_NO_ACLS
   HAVE__ACL
   HAVE__FACL

The same with my new smbd configured --with-acl-support shows..

   HAVE_SYS_ACL_H
   HAVE_SOLARIS_ACLS
   HAVE__ACL
   HAVE__FACL

So the configure option seems to be "taking".  Guess what??  No difference in the end.  Same same same behaviour.  Can create or modify files but not delete or rename them.

I recompiled on the RedHat Linux box this morning.  Where smbd -b | grep -i acl against the binary I made yesterday yields..

   HAVE_SYS_ACL_H
   HAVE_NO_ACLS

Today, after reconfiguring and recompiling, smbd -b | grep -i acl yields..

   HAVE_SYS_ACL_H
   HAVE_POSIX_ACLS

So the configure option seems to be "taking".  So, I tried it.  Guess what??  NO DIFFERENCE (I'm not shouting at anyone just shouting).  Like on the Solaris box, in the interest of saving time I had just done a reconfigure and recompile of the same source I had been using yesterday.  So, in the interest of being thorough, like on the Solaris box, I started over yet again, completely from scratch using a brand new extract of the samba distribution.  Still no dice.  After Jeremy's confidence yesterday I thought for sure it was going to work on the Linux box.

I can hardly believe it.  I'm eagerly awaiting the results some of the rest of you get when configuring --with-acl-support and recompiling.

Tom Schaefer