[Samba] cannot write to share

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Fri Apr 15 14:29:38 GMT 2005

On Friday 15 April 2005 03:26, Kevin Waterson wrote:
> I have a server 192.168.0.14 and the directory I wish to share is
> /home/photo I can mount from 192.168.0.1 with
> mount -t smbfs -o "username=photo" //192.168.0.14/photo /mnt/smbshare
> it prompts me for a password and I can see the contents of the share
> but I cannot write to it.
>
> Any pointers gladly recieved

First, smbfs is not Samba. It is a Linux kernel driver. Samba provides only
some of the interface glue for it. This is not the best list to ask questions
regarding smbfs. Asking here is a bit like taking your GM car to a Ford
dealer for warranty repairs. :-)

The solution to your problem is:

1. Change the ownership and group of the mount point on the UNIX/Linux system
to a user and group that everyone who needs to use the data can access, eg:
auser and  agroup. Set this as follows:

	chown auser:agroup /mnt/smbshare

2. Set the permissions as required. eg: chmod a+rwx /mnt/smbshare

3. Mount the resource as follows:

mount -t smbfs -o \
"username=photo,uid=ausers,gid=agroup" //192.168.0.14/photo /mnt/smbshare

4. On the Windows server (if it is Windows NT/200X/XP) set acls so that the
Windows user 'photo' has "Full Control"

Enjoy!

- John T.