[Samba] Review Request: Samba-3 by Example Update

Geoff Scott geoffs at guestshire.com
Fri Apr 15 01:05:29 GMT 2005

John H Terpstra wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 November 2004 17:00, Geoff Scott wrote:
>>> The issue of this thread was authenticating machine accounts if I
>>> remember correctly...
>>
>> No I was just having a hard time getting the smbldap tools to work
>> properly. It all came down to me not knowing at what point you switch
>> from chapter 6 of the example book to chapter 8 to vampire accounts
>> of the NT server.  Of course if you vampire accounts straight after
>> you use the preload.ldif then you end up with different GID's than
>> what the smbldap tools expect in their defaults. therefore the
>> vampire fails as the expected GID for the group is different to what
>> vampire sets up as it creates the groups from the NT server.
>>  It would be nice if John could add to chapter 8 something like:
>> Build the Base server the same as in Chapter 6 including step ?
>> "using the smbldap-populate script" then continue with vampiring the
>> accounts.
>
> I'll consider this when I do the update in January.

This was a thread titled "vampire fails because of Debian smbldap-tools
problem"

This was a personal bugbear of mine that caused me a week of grief.  I have
noticed about three job ads in the local job search web sites in the past 2
weeks asking for someone to help migrate large companies from NT4 to Samba,
so having something like what I suggested above in the NT4 Migration chapter
is still relevant.  Please John would you consider it?

Regards Geoff Scott