[Samba] Repeat Review Request

Flatfender flatfender at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 20:52:32 GMT 2005

On 4/14/05, John H Terpstra <jht at samba.org> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I like criticism! Please give me lots of it - particularly in respect of the
> updated "Samba-Guide". It should now be up on the Samba mirror sites.
> You can download it from:
>
>         http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-Guide.pdf
>
> I have incorporated all feedback into this book. Did I get it right this time
> or should I give up?
>
> So far, not a word of feedback is deafening!
>
> Is it worth my effort to continue updating this book or is this a waste of
> time?
>
> - John T.
> --
> John H Terpstra
> Samba-Team Member
> Phone: +1 (650) 580-8668

John,

It is certainly not a waste of time!  As regards to the samba-guide,
the flow seems fine and thing are in a logical order.  I quick perusal
of the samba update process seems good, although I need to read it
again.

One chapter I was disappointed in was the Netware migration chapter.
I guess I was expecting some way to extract out the Netware info, even
if it was from a third party.  This chapter basically just seemed to
reiterate building a server from scratch and asking the user what
their password was?  Maybe I missed something.

In any case I for one appreciate all your effort.  I bought a copy of
The Official Samba-3 HOWTO & Reference, when it first came out.   I am
still working through both guides and hope to be able to give you more
feedback.  I'm not sure right now if the problems I'm having are
related to lack of info, distribution choice(FreeBSD) or just density
on my part.

Again thank you for your effort and contributions, especially how many
questions you answer on the mailing list.

A big kudos's to the whole Samba team for their mailing list participation.

Matt Pusateri