[Samba] Re: Samba Question

Gerry Maddock gerrym at futuremetals.com
Wed Apr 13 21:34:21 GMT 2005

Ok, it seems to be an LDAP problem. for some reason linux isnt reading the
ldap groups, even though /etc/nsswitch.conf states groups = files ldap
Here is my problem:

I ran smbldap-groupadd TEST to create the group test. I then ran:
smbldap-groupmod -m gerrym,briang TEST to add gerrym (me) and briang to
that group. I next created a test linux directory called TESTDIR to check
permisions. I changed the ownership to briang.TEST TESTDR (chown
briang.TEST ./TESTDIR). I then changed directory permisions to 770 (user
and group have read,write,and execute). I then logged in as my self
(gerrym) and tried to access that directory and I am unable to. The
directory permisions should allow me in w/full control as I am in the
group TEST. I run getent group|grep TEST and verify I am a member of that
group and I am. I then checked /etc/nsswitch.conf and it shows:
group:      files ldap

Just wondering why it will not let me in that directory if permisions are
right? I used IDEALX's smb-ldap script 1.2. Any help or suggestions would be
appreciated. THANKS!