[Samba] Adding a Windows Server down the road

Josh Kelley josh at jbc.edu
Wed Apr 13 17:46:22 GMT 2005

Andrew Bartlett wrote:

>What's wrong with running the windows server as a domain member.  There
>is no way to import users (well, their passwords are the tricky part)
>from Samba into AD that I know of.

Microsoft provides the Active Directory Migration Tool (ADMT).  As one
of its features, it's supposed to let you import users from a NT 4
domain.  Since a Samba server runs an NT 4 domain, any chance that ADMT
would work?

I'm guessing no, for the same reason that a Samba PDC can't take an NT 4
BDC, but I thought that I'd mention it as a possibility and see if
anyone knew if it would work.

Josh Kelley