[Samba] Re: Can't setup Windows Print Driver on Samba 3 Server

Nicolas Costes nicolas.costes at iut-laroche.univ-nantes.fr
Wed Apr 13 13:07:38 GMT 2005

Le Jeudi 14 Avril 2005 00:28, Luke a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to store a windows print driver on a samba 3 server (which
> is sharing a pseudo PDF printer) so that windows users in the domain
> can automatically have it installed (rather than having to choose a
> driver from their computer manually). I've tried the methods outlined
> in the samba howto but I can't get either of them to work. The one
> where you use a windows machine to install the drivers onto the samba
> server allows me to copy the drivers into the print$ share, however
> when I try to click "OK" or "Apply" in the actual printer dialog box I
> get the error "Permission Denied".
>
> Also trying to do it manually on the Samba server using "rpcclient -U
> <username> -c 'adddriver ....' gives me a WERR_ACCESS_DENIED error,
> even when using the domain administrator as the username or the local
> root account. I have a feeling I have not set up my print admin
> correctly in my smb.conf, which is at the end of this email. I am using
> winbind by the way to let Domain Users login to the share.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated

I've got the same problem, so I think i'll paste again my yesterday mail
here, as it is another formulation of the same issue...

<----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello, all !

I'm setting up a print server with Samba and Cups. All goes fine, until I
try to upload the drivers from a Win2000 box to the Samba server: The
driver files are copied to the correct directory ([PRINT$]/W32X86/...),
and everyone seems to be happy... Until I click on the "OK" button: I
then get a message saying:

"The printer parameters could not be saved. Acces denied"

This is quite strange, because the file get actually copied to the
[PRINT$] dir, and the logs show nothing really wrong... Moreover, I've
done other print server using the same versions (The last one was
yesterday), and they work correctly.

So, I suspect something is done by (samba|cups|windows) when cliking on
the "OK" button, after the file copy, but I don't know what... I don't
know the internals of Samba (And the CIFS protocol).

How can I track down the problem ? Has someone here got this issue
before ?

For information, this Samba+Cups run in a Vserver
(http://linux-vserver.org/), and this should not be ignored as a possible
cause...
But I'd really like to know the basic step Samba performs when
remote-installing a driver, to look in the good direction. For example,
are there any communications between Samba and Cups at this particular
moment ? More important, if there is such communications, is the loopback
(lo) interface involved in any way ?

Thank by advance for your answers.

--
  ,,