[Samba] Can't setup Windows Print Driver on Samba 3 Server

Luke samba at luke.bpa.nu
Wed Apr 13 22:28:42 GMT 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to store a windows print driver on a samba 3 server (which is
sharing a pseudo PDF printer) so that windows users in the domain can
automatically have it installed (rather than having to choose a driver
from their computer manually). I've tried the methods outlined in the
samba howto but I can't get either of them to work. The one where you
use a windows machine to install the drivers onto the samba server
allows me to copy the drivers into the print$ share, however when I try
to click "OK" or "Apply" in the actual printer dialog box I get the
error "Permission Denied".

Also trying to do it manually on the Samba server using "rpcclient -U
<username> -c 'adddriver ....' gives me a WERR_ACCESS_DENIED error, even
when using the domain administrator as the username or the local root
account. I have a feeling I have not set up my print admin correctly in
my smb.conf, which is at the end of this email. I am using winbind by
the way to let Domain Users login to the share.

Any help would be much appreciated

Regards,
Luke

Contents of my smb.conf:

# Global parameters
[global]
    idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
    wins server = <ip>
    interfaces = eth0
    encrypt passwords = yes
    winbind use default domain = no
    printer admin = "MYDOMAIN\Domain Admins"
    template shell = /sbin/nologin
    use client driver = Yes
    dns proxy = No
    netbios name = MYSERVER
    cups options = raw
    netbios aliases = MYSERVER2
    server string = .......
    printing = cups
    idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
    password server = PDC BDC
    workgroup = MYDOMAIN
    printcap name = cups
    security = domain
    preferred master = No
    max log size = 50
    bind interfaces only = Yes

[printers]
comment = All Printers
browseable = no
printable = yes
public = yes
read only = yes
create mode = 0700
directory = /tmp

[PDFPrinter]
    path = /tmp
    printing = bsd
    #guest ok = Yes
    printable = Yes
    writeable = yes
    print command = /usr/local/bin/printpdf %s %m %U
    lpq command = /bin/true
    comment = Colour PDF Creation
    valid users = "MYDOMAIN\Domain Users"

[PDFs]
    path = /home/pdfs
    browseable = yes
    valid users="MYDOMAIN\Domain Admins"

[print$]
comment = Printer Driver Download Area
path = /etc/samba/drivers
browseable = yes
guest ok = yes
read only = yes
write list = "MYDOMAIN\Domain Admins", root