[Samba] Question on using smbmount

Jason Williams jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com
Tue Apr 12 20:51:22 GMT 2005

I'm trying to mount a samba share located on one Linux server to another
samba server for backup purposes. The problem im running into is that i
get an error stating:

couldn't find service <share I am specifying>

Here is what im attempting:

One server #1 sambaserver, Where I want the share to be mounted for
backup purposes

smbmount //valhalla/backupdir /backuparea/valhalla

If im correct, im specifying valhalla (server #2) and backupdir (which
is the share i created and specified inside smb.conf.

Once I do that, enter the password, I get the error:

Apr 12 13:41:16 valhalla smbd[32354]:   sambaserver (192.168.1.51)
couldn't find service backupdir/

Its right on the tip of my tongue, but its escaping me.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Jason