[Samba] Re: PDC Shows up as a domain - Resolved

Jonathan Johnson jon at sutinen.com
Tue Apr 12 06:19:02 GMT 2005

I'm guessing this happened:

You are using passdb backend = tdbsam.

You converted from one security mode (standalone) to another (domain
controller) AFTER creating those users. The users that were created
before the Samba server was configured as a domain controller exhibited
the problem, and the ones created after did not. When you'd log in as a
pre-domain-configuration user, you'd see the PDC listed as an empty
domain in My Network Places. In addition, you probably had some strange
authentication errors.

Had you done a 'pdbedit -L -v' you would have seen that some users'
"logon domain" was the PDC; others had the domain SOC listed. You might
have noticed that the ones listing the PDC were pre-domain users, the
ones listing SOC were created post-domain configuration.

You see, this bit me once. :-)  I eventually figured out what happened,
but didn't know an easy way to fix it, so ended up recreating the users
(and also restoring their SIDs, because I didn't want to screw up their
local profiles -- wasn't using roaming profiles). Shortly thereafter, I
took a course from the venerable John H. Terpstra, who pointed out that
I could have simply converted my passdb temporarily from tdbsam to
smbpasswd and back again, and this would have fixed it all very quickly
while maintaining the SIDs. Of course, had I any policy settings in
place, these would have needed to be recreated, but that would be easier
than recreating SIDs.

I'm happy that you were able to fix it, yet thought you (and the rest of
the Samba community) might like to hear of my experience and
understanding of the problem so that it can be avoided in the future.

~Jonathan Johnson
Sutinen Consulting, Inc.
www.sutinen.com