[Samba] very slow writes from samba client to samba server

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 23:25:54 GMT 2005

I'm running Fedora Core 3 on two machines; a server and a client. On
the server, I have the package samba-3.0.10-1.fc3 installed; I assume
this means I have samba version 3.0.10. On the client, I have
samba-client-3.0.10-1.fc3, i.e., the same version.

On the same network, I have a Windows XP home machine that connects to
the same shares as the FC3 client machine.

Reading and writing files on the WinXP machine to and from the server
works perfectly. Reading files stored on the server from the FC3
client machine also works fine. But when I try to write files from FC3
client to FC3 server, it takes a very long time. Extremely long, like
< 1mbit/s, and this is a 100mbit/s network. Actually, it takes so long
that for a file of any real size (1Mb+) the copy/save errors out
before the writing is done.

I have googled this issue, and written to fedora-list, but nothing is
helping so far. All the advice suggests that this is a master-browser
collision problem. So I edited my smb.conf files accordingly (setting
the os_level, etc. lower in the client), but that didn't help. Here
are my smb.conf files anyway, just in case I've done something wrong.

On the server (I've removed all commented lines for brevity):
-----
[global]
   workgroup = CONCRETE
   netbios name = ONE