[Samba] smbpasswd -as

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Mon Apr 11 13:05:24 GMT 2005

>I have a problem by using smbpasswd -as USER PASSWORD
>
>it returns with this:
>
>[root at backup ~]# smbpasswd -as USER PASSWORD
>When run by root:
>    smbpasswd [options] [username]
>otherwise:
>    smbpasswd [options]
>
>I has been a problem for about 6 month now on both debian testing and
>redhat ES 3 / 4
>
>It is still working on Redhat 9 with samba-2.2.12-0.90.2.legacy
>
>Any one know why?

Sure, passing the password on the command line is no longer supported.
I can't remember the exact version (maybe in the release notes?) but it
simply isn't an option.  There are ways around it however if you're
trying to create a script.  My script usage, ripped off the list a while
ago is this:

`(echo $password; echo $password) | $smbpasswd -s -a $username`

Note:  The above is a line from a perl script, however I think the
original was for bash.  You can probably figure out how to adapt it to
your language from there ;)

--
Paul Gienger                    Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.