[Samba] PDC: Logging out from Windows XP SP2 takes a long time

Jonathan Johnson jon at sutinen.com
Mon Apr 11 06:11:22 GMT 2005

If your users are using Outlook Express or Outlook, it might be trying
to synchronize the associated files. If your users are wont to store
large quantities of email, thes files can be rather huge. As the files
change every time you open OE or Outlook, they must then be
synchronized. I have seen OE Inbox files grow to several hundred
megabytes, as well as the Outlook PST file.

Note that the Outlook PST file can be stored on a network share,
eliminating the need to synchronize it. However, Outlook Express files
MUST be on a local drive. (I have tried moving them to a network share
and ended up losing data. It's like Microsoft has written a routine to
guarantee that it won't work.) You must either prevent the OE identity
from being synchronized, or move the directory to a folder on the local
machine which is not synchronized.

For this reason, Outlook Express is NOT RECOMMENDED in a roaming
profiles environment, as the OE identity cannot be on a network share
and synchronizing the files is an excercise in masochism.

For your information:
* OE identies are usually found in [%USERPROFILE%\Local
Settings\Application Data\Identities\{IDENTITY}\Microsoft\Outlook
Express\*.dbx]
* Registry entry for OE store location: REG_EXPAND_SZ,
[HKCU\Identities\{IDENTITY}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0\Store
Root]
* Outlook PST files are usually found in [%USERPROFILE&\Local
Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\*.pst]
* You may also want to consider the Windows Address Book, which is a
.WAB file. The registry entry that describes the path to the WAB file is
REG_SZ, [HKCU\Software\Microsoft\WAB\WAB4\Wab File Name\(Default)]

~Jonathan Johnson
Sutinen Consulting, Inc.
www.sutinen.com