[SAMBA] KDE-Print almost working, directory shares working good.

Pete pete at supermail.dyndns.org
Sun Apr 10 07:49:07 GMT 2005

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005, Chris wrote:

> On Saturday 09 April 2005 07:15 pm, Pete wrote:
> > But that's it.
> >
> > Nothing else happens.
> >
> > I am a bit embarrassed about this as using SWAT is supposed to make
> > adminstering Samba a breeze, but I'm still unfortunately stuck.
> >
> > I can't work out why the jobs are being sent to the samba server on
> > littlegeek, but nothing is being done with them.
> >
> > If it helps, here are a couple of screenshots of what is happening :
> >
> > 1) The queue list on KDE Print Manager :
> >
> > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alternative.carpark/biggeek_print_manager.png
> >
> > 2) Some information about the printer I'm sending to :
> >
> > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alternative.carpark/kde_print_info.png
>
> There's no reason to involve Samba in this process. CUPS should handle this
> pretty much on its own. If you point your browser to
> http://biggeek:631/printers/ do you see the printers on littlegeek (the same
> as http://littlegeek:631/printers/)? All printers should be seen from both
> systems if CUPS is set up correctly.

I've already replied to this post by Chris, but since that time, in
typical fashion, I've found the answer.

As Chris pointed out, the problem had nothing to do with Samba, but rather
CUPS.

I tried logging into http://littlegeek:631/printers/, and although I could
do so, I had an error message displayed there about CUPS not being able to
get the printer status (client-error-forbidden). It also warned me to use
system-config-printer to make any adjustments.

I fired up system-config-printer and looked in the queue tab. I'd set the
wrong queue-type. I changed it back to local, and two 'processing' jobs
from last night started printing. I don't know why I'd set it to
networked IPP printer. Tiredness I guess, but anyway, success !

Thanks again to Chris and apologies to everyone else for my non-samba
post.

Regards,

Pete.