[Samba] Seeking documentation for SAMBA3+LDAP but NOT PDC

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Apr 10 07:44:29 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 19:01 +0200, Olivier Deckmyn - INGENIWEB wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I would like to build a _simple_ server for sharing files, using Samba3.
> I use FreeBSD5, the machine works well with ldap, nss_switch, pam_ldap.
> Users can login (ssh) using the ldap account : perfect.
>
> Now i want them to access some file/shares using SMB with Samba3, using
> their LDAP account.
>
> BUT : **I don't want to turn this simple server into a PDC machine**
> This would be overkill for my needs.
>
> Is there a documentation around (I've been really searching) that would
> help me build a SAMBA3+LDAP server NOT acting like a PDC. I just want to
> have my users identify using their LDAP account, not more.

Just do not enable the 'domain logons', and you have a standalone Samba
server.  We can't use the existing LDAP passwords, but we don't require
that pdb_ldap be used only on a PDC.  It's just that most people don't
use the complex backends without looking for the multi-computer
benefits.

Andrew Bartlett