[Samba] Unix to SMB Password Sync using PAM

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Apr 9 22:32:33 GMT 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-10 at 00:14 +0200, Schlomo Schapiro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I used this module sucessfully, but in the auth part, not passwd. That way
> the Samba password is set on each login.
>
> I noticed however, that it is set only if there is no existing password.
> The source shows that this is intended, but can be easily amended with
> your favourite C compiler ...
>
> Apparantly the pam_smbpasswd module is primarily intended for migration
> scenarios where people want to move from unix passwords to Samba
> passwords. In general, if all your unix users hava a Samba password, there
> is no reason to keep both passwords anyway, just use the Samba password
> also for Unix access, e.g. with pam_smb

I strongly recommend against use of pam_smb.  Where you need to
authenticate against a Samba password database, look into pam_winbindd,
or things like the modification to Heimdal described here:

https://sec.miljovern.no/bin/view/Info/HeimdalKerberosSambaAndOpenLdap

This last option allows you to then use a very standard pam_krb5 on your
unix workstations.

Andrew Bartlett