[Samba] No domain server was available to validate your password.

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Fri Apr 8 22:30:25 GMT 2005

I am a Samba newbie who has just set up a Samba server running under
Fedora Core 3 and a client running under Win 98.

When I log in, I get the message:
        No domain server was available to validate your password.  You
        may not be able to gain access to some network resources.

Also, Any attempt to see the network from "Network Neighborhood" or from
"Windows Explorer" fails with the error box:
        Unable to browse the network
        .
        The network is not accessible
        For more information ...

I have run all the tests in the HOWTO section:
	.../Samba-HOWTO-Collection/diagnosis.html
up to and including the last two:
	C:\WINDOWS>net use x: \\claremont\TMP
on the client, which does, in fact make the device x: on my client
equivalent to /tmp on my server, and
        $ nmblookup -M MYGROUP
        querying MYGROUP on 192.168.255.255
        192.168.1.35 MYGROUP<1d>
on the server, which looks OK.

Nevertheless (to repeat) attempts to browse the network from "Network
Neighborhood" or from "Windows Explorer" all fail.

I have taken some logs with ethereal.  The one attached, windowsLogin
shows activity from starting smbd and nmbd, through logging on from the
windows machine (amito) and and attempt to browse the network from it.
I have also attached my smb.conf file.

The network is very small.  It consists of only 3 machines:

	# Gateway to the Internet and name server for the local net
	192.168.0.1	homeportal.gateway.2wire.net

	# Windows client
	192.168.1.34	amito.localdomain	amito

	# Linux Samba server
	192.168.1.35	claremont.localdomain	claremont

What's going on?