[Samba] Joining domain across subnet

Ephi Dror ephi at agami.com
Fri Apr 8 01:06:59 GMT 2005

Hi All,

If I have domain controller on a different subnet than the samba server
and I would like  to join that domain controller  in an environment
without WINS, meaning only DNS available.

Unfortunately, it failed.

Is it possible to do it? I am using domain type DOMAIN (not ADS) in
smb.conf and the command I used is: "net  join -Uname%passwd"

I looked at the -d 10 log info and it looks like it broadcasts for the
domain name with the <xx> netbios stuff but of course across subnet it
would not work.

So is it true that in a pure DNS environment without the great help of
WINS server around  in which the domain controller and the samba server
are on a different subnets, I must use domain type ADS?

Thanks for your tips,

Cheers,
Ephi