[Samba] Noob having troubles with slapd-populate authentication

Chris Weiss cweiss at casadelove.com
Thu Apr 7 19:25:31 GMT 2005

I'm following the "The Linux Samba-OpenLDAP Howto" at
http://samba.idealx.org/smbldap-howto.en.html and seem to have run into
a problem...

I'm to the point where I want to do the initial database population
using smbldap-populate.pl, but when I run it, I'm getting:

Using builtin directory structure
adding new entry: dc=pirategames,dc=net
failed to add entry: modifications require authentication at
/usr/local/sbin/smbldap-populate.pl line 323, <GEN1> line 2.
adding new entry: ou=_USERS_,dc=pirategames,dc=net
failed to add entry: modifications require authentication at
/usr/local/sbin/smbldap-populate.pl line 323, <GEN1> line 3.
adding new entry: ou=_GROUPS_,dc=pirategames,dc=net
failed to add entry: modifications require authentication at
/usr/local/sbin/smbldap-populate.pl line 323, <GEN1> line 4.
etc...

Something I thought was interesting is it's not even pointing out the
SID, although I've got it and populated the smbldap.conf file and
slapd.conf.pm (I'm using Fedora 3 and the smbldap-tools included seem to
have a different default configuration, so I downloaded the RPM and did
an update. This problem was occurring before and after the RPM update).

Also, using smbldap-useradd.pl fails in the same manner.
$ smbldap-useradd.pl -m testuser1
failed to perform search; No such object at
/usr/local/sbin///smbldap_tools.pm line 154, <DATA> line 283.
failed to add entry: modifications require authentication at
/usr/local/sbin/smbldap-useradd.pl line 249, <DATA> line 283.
No such object at /usr/local/sbin///smbldap_tools.pm line 178, <DATA>
line 283.

That message seems to indicate that I've not set the tools to choose
authentication - I've gone over the permissions settings a few times and
things should match up, can anyone help point me in the right direction
to look as to why this might be failing?