[Samba] Unix to SMB Password Sync using PAM

Charles McLaughlin cmclaughlin at ucdavis.edu
Thu Apr 7 17:35:17 GMT 2005

Hello,

I would like to configure PAM to sync Unix passwords to Samba passwords.
  When I add a new Unix user or change an existing Unix user's password,
I want the same password to be stored in /etc/smbpasswd.

I'm trying to follow these instructions:
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/pam.html#id2606200

It sounds like this is what I want to do:
  "A sample PAM configuration that shows the use of pam_smbpass to make
sure private/smbpasswd is kept in sync when /etc/passwd (/etc/shadow) is
changed."

I created the file /etc/pam.d/passwd-sync and pasted the following:

#%PAM-1.0
# password-sync
#
auth       requisite    pam_nologin.so
auth       required     pam_unix.so
account    required     pam_unix.so
password   requisite    pam_cracklib.so retry=3
password   requisite    pam_unix.so shadow md5 use_authtok try_first_pass
password   required     pam_smbpass.so nullok use_authtok try_first_pass
session    required     pam_unix.s

Then I rebooted and changed my Unix password using "passwd", but that
didn't change my smbpassd.  I checked to make sure I have all of the
needed PAM modules, but other than that I don't know what to look for.
Am I missing something?  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Charles