[Samba] Samba/Cups and printers

Bernard McAuley bernard.mcauley at phyworks-ic.com
Thu Apr 7 16:16:35 GMT 2005

Hi All,

I'm trying to get samba to work with a CUPS printer setup.
Unfortuantely I'm falling over at the first hurdle.  I've installed
samba 3.0.12 from sources and I've a redhat 9.0 box running CUPS 1.1.71.

I've installed the following smb.conf file:-

[global]
load printers=yes
printings=cups
printcap name=cups
passdb backend = tdsam

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
browseable = no
public = yes
guest ok = yes
writable = no
printable = yes
printer admin = root, @ntadmins

If I start samba and run:-

Rpcclient server -U root -c enumprinters

Then I get returned the message 'No printers returned'

I've scoured the logs at all levels from smbd, but the only line of
relevance I can find is:-

	Starting background LPQ thread.

This suggestes to me that smbd isn't using the CUPS backend, but is
using the BSD backend(!?).  However, I've checked the smbd binary and it
is linked to libcups.so.2.  I have also checked that cups is creating
the /etc/printcap file (which it is) - though I'm concerned that it
consists only of printer names and nothing else!

Any suggestions would be warmly welcomed.

Bernard McAuley