[Samba] Sluggish Samba

Bob McIlvaine suemac at empire.net
Thu Apr 7 00:53:21 GMT 2005

Hi,

I took the plunge and installed the latest version of OpenBSD
3.6 and SAMBA 3.0.11 (this because I found a patch for the
OBSD ports tree).

So I now have all that up and running. Both my XP box  and
my Audiotron can get to the SAMBA shares.

I did this upgrade because the problem I'm about to describe
is exactly the same as before I upgraded from 3.4 OBSD, 2.x
Samba. I know others are using the Auditron with Samba
successfully...so it must be something I've got set wrong
somewhere.

Next I put some wav files on the share. If I play one using
Windows media player on the XP box all is good, no
skipping, etc.

If I tell the Audiotron to play the file (media player is shut
down on the xp box) it buffers forever and then plays the
song a few bytes at a time.

If I use tcpdump to look at the traffic between the audiotron
and the samba machine during the buffering the largest data
packet that gets sent is 1400 bytes with the typical being 800
or 600.

With xp/media player the data packets are large at first and
then drop to smaller packets for the duration of the song.

Does anybody have any idea what's going on. Any help
greatly appreciated!

Here is the smb.conf:

[global]
   workgroup = MACHOME
   server string = Parker103
   hosts allow = 192.168.53.10 192.168.53.20 192.168.53.30
192.168.53.102 127.0.0.1
   load printers = yes
   log file = /var/log/smbd.%m
   log level = 1