[Samba] REPOST: Simultaneous Share Access via NFS/SMB

Jeff Yana jyana at emc2visfx.com
Mon Apr 4 20:21:34 GMT 2005

Did not get a response so I am reposting.

I have a share that has been exported via NFS as well as shared using
Samba 3.0. On the Windows side, all authentication is currently done
using Winbind and Active Directory. On the standalone Samba server (also
authenticated using Windbind) where the exported NFS resides, I have the
same local Unix user (identified by the same name and UID/GID) that I
have on each Unix (Mac/Linux) host that needs to access the NFS export.
I also have name mappings setup in my smb.conf file.

Currently, unless the file/directory is explicitly owned by "xuser", the
  unix hosts are not able to access that resource. Other than name
mappings, I am not quite sure how to allow access to my NFS clients
wanting to access these network shares without changing ownership of the
user/group to my "xuser" The goal is that the unix username will map
transparently to a Windows User/Group, but I am not quite sure how to
manage this.

My questions are as follows:

Must IDMAPing be the same on all unix hosts before this will work?;

and/or

Can this be easily solved using the "net groupmap" command utility?

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

jyana