[Samba] Samba and CUPS driver download

Necos Secon secon_kun at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 4 19:37:34 GMT 2005

I've set up the automatic driver download as per the instructions in the
Official Samba-3 HOWTO. The printers are browseable on the Samba/CUPS server
(named Venus in this case), however, when I try to connect to the printer
via a Windows 2000 or XP machine, I get an error: "The server on which the
printer resides does not have the correct printer driver installed. If you
want to install the driver on your local computer, click OK."

The driver on the Venus is the cups-samba driver (version 5.0rc3), and is
using the "Lexmark Optra E312 Foomatic/Postscript (recommended)" driver from
Linuxprinting.org. The printer name is Printer_CLC_Sat_212 (in CUPS and
Samba). What makes things more interesting is that another printer,
Printer_CLC_Sat_220 (the last number is the classroom number) also resides
on Venus, and when I try to connect to this printer (using the same Windows
2000 machine), it connects just fine. If I try to connect to yet another
printer, Printer_AUX_HP (this is the printer in my office), again, it
connects just fine, and prints. Is 212's configuration corrupted in Samba? I
also run netatalk on this server to provide print services to our OS 9 and
10 clients, but I've yet to see any sort of headbutting between the two
services.

Any tips would be appreciated,
Theodore Charles III
Network Administrator