[Samba] smbmount non root write access denied

Tim Milstead tim_milstead at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Apr 2 21:47:59 GMT 2005

I am using smbfs in /etc/fstab on Debian.
The share mounts with no problem but only root can write to it - not the
user.
The user sharing and the user I want to have access have the same
username but not the same userid

The user can not write.
I am using
uid=<username>
gid=<username>
fmask=777
dmask=777
and most importantly rw

The directory is shared from centos (redhat enterprise linux) 4

Everything works fine on windows so I think it is a smbmount/linux
client problem.
 From memory I got round the problem in the past by making sure the user
id of the user on both the client and the server was the same.
This is not an option on the current setup.
The mount point is owned by the user btw.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks,

Tim.