[Samba] 'username map' --> password(s)

webster at lexmark.com webster at lexmark.com
Fri Apr 1 20:58:31 GMT 2005

Hello.

One of the advertised uses of the 'username map' smb.conf parameter is:
'to map multiple users to a single username so that they can more easily
share files.'

This sounds great, & is what I've wanted to do more than once.
However, there is the issue of the username mapping taking place before
the authentication.
This requires the individual users to give a different password than the
one that goes with their ID (& that they are already supplying).
For the stated purpose, this operation appears to make little sense.

Am I missing something here?
Is there a way around this, or another good way to accomplish what I'm
wanting?

Thanks.

Gary R. Webster