[Samba] Aliased interface/multi-smb on one machine + security = DOMAIN model

Chris Rutledge crutledge at tgic.com
Fri Apr 1 19:25:27 GMT 2005

Hello all,

    Have a little trouble here. I've got a single machine with multiple
instances of smb running attached to different services (for use with RedHat
HA). Each instances is bound to it's own aliased IP using the machine's
primary interface (eth0). I issue the `smbpasswd -j DOMAIN -r IP -c
/etc/samba/smb.conf.Apache -U admin%pass` and `smbpasswd -j DOMAIN -r IP -c
/etc/samba/smb.conf.FTP -U admin%pass`, however only the last config that I
joined the domain with works, the first keeps prompting me for a password.
Also neither of these instances register themselves with the WINS server, we
had to manually enter a static entry, this is not a problem with the same
configs (all same IP's) in the security = SERVER model.

    I'm running smb 2.2.12 on RedHat AS 2.1. Below are the config files, any
help would be greatly appreciated.....

/etc/samba/smb.conf.Apache
[global]
workgroup = PDCSERVER
lock directory = /var/cache/samba/Apache
pid directory = /var/cache/samba/Apache
bind interfaces only = yes
interfaces = 10.254.100.150
server string = Xisle Cluster Samba Server (Fear the Penguin)
debug level = 1
security = DOMAIN
password server = 192.192.192.130
domain master = no
local master = no
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 100
name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
socket options = TCP_NODELAY
dns proxy = No
netbios name = smb-test-1
socket address = 10.254.100.150
wins server = 192.192.192.238
hosts allow = 192.192.192. 172.16. 192.168. 127.
guest account = nobody
encrypt passwords = yes
domain logons = no

/etc/samba/smb.conf.FTP
[global]
workgroup = PDCSERVER
lock directory = /var/cache/samba/FTP
pid directory = /var/cache/samba/FTP
bind interfaces only = yes
interfaces = 10.254.100.151
server string = Xisle Cluster Samba Server (Fear the Penguin)
debug level = 1
security = DOMAIN
password server = 192.192.192.130
domain master = no
local master = no
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 100
name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
socket options = TCP_NODELAY
dns proxy = No
netbios name = smb-test-2
socket address = 10.254.100.151
wins server = 192.192.192.238
hosts allow = 192.192.192. 172.16. 192.168. 127.
guest account = nobody
encrypt passwords = yes
domain logons = no

Thanks for any help!
Chris Rutledge
crutledge at tgic.com <mailto:crutledge at tgic.com>

The information contained in this email and any attachments may be privileged and/or confidential and protected from disclosure.  It is intended solely for the use of the recipient(s) to whom it is addressed, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient(s).  You are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by reply email and delete this email and all attachments from your system.  Thank you.