[Samba] Samba over ssh ?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Apr 1 04:34:04 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 23:25 -0500, Madhusudan Singh wrote:
> On Thursday 31 March 2005 16:29, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 12:37 -0500, Madhusudan Singh wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > >  I need to make my samba server available over the internet to a mobile
> > > user base.
> > >
> > >  I was wondering if samba could be run over ssh (at both client and
> > > server ends). I am not comfortable about opening ports 139 and 445.
> >
> > The standard answer is to use a VPN.
> >
> > Andrew Bartlett
>
> Thanks. Would CIPE be an appropriate solution ? I am beginning to read up on
> it. Does it work the following way :
>
> Linux Server : Samba (139,445) -- 22 -------- Internet -------- 22 -- Windows

----
been a while since I used Cipe - I don't recall which ports it used but
it surely wasn't the ssh port (22).

would recommend against starting with it since you won't find it to be
supported by many 2.6 distro's without a bunch of extra work.

Suggest that you use openvpn
openvpn.sourceforge.net

Craig