[Samba] File Locking using smbmount

Rishi rishi.forums at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 02:40:10 GMT 2005

Hi

I have a Samba Server on RH9 and when I map the shares on Windows client
computers, the files are locked so the users do not accidentally overwrite
other people's files on the network. (This is the good news)

However, the Linux client computers use smbmount to map the shares within
their home folders, which do not lock the files... so when two users on the
network try to access the same file, the contents of the file will belong to
the person that saved the file the last.

I've looked at the man page of smbmount to see if I can enable file locking at
the client level .... no joy.

Any tips on how to fix around this?

Thanks

Rishi