[Samba] name resolution between windows and samba

Tim Harvey tharvey at alumni.calpoly.edu
Thu Sep 30 21:17:32 GMT 2004

I've got a simple anonymous read/write samba server with the following
configuration:

# Global parameters
[global]
workgroup = MSHOME
netbios name = FILESERVER
security = SHARE
server string = NAS Server
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 50

[data]
comment = RAID5 Share
path = /data
force user = nobody
force group = nobody
read only = No
guest ok = Yes

On the same network I have a WinXP system (named 'WINXP') and a Win98 system
(named 'WIN98') all connected through a Linksys firewall/gateway using DHCP
from the Linksys.  Everything seems to work fine via windows 'network
neighborhood', however I'm having some difficulties understanding what I
need for proper name resolution outside of network neighborhood.

For example, I wish to be able to drop to a dos box on a windows machine and
do a 'telnet fileserver', however 'fileserver' is not resolved.  I realize I
can edit the hosts file on each windows system but if fileserver has DHCP
address this doesn't work.  Additionally I wish to be able to 'ping winxp'
from the fileserver, but there is no name resolution.

Basically, what I do not understand is how to implement netbios to tcp/ip
name mapping.  Can anyone give me some suggestions or point me to the
relevant docs.  I've read through a lot of the samba docs, but I do still
not understand this aspect.

Thanks,

Tim