[Samba] WINS names intermittently unregister after 5 days

Bob Bob bcnuup at optusnet.com.au
Thu Sep 30 20:29:12 GMT 2004

Hi Leon

Realising it isnt quite relevent to your posting, I had trouble sometime
ago with our company PDC's WINS record disappearing from the corporate
WINS box. Rebooting our PDC would make it appear again.

In our case we never did quite resolve the reason (both NT4 boxes) but
doing a manual clean on the WINS servers (about 4 of them) fixed it.
There was some thought that errant data was being propogated in a
circle. What I am getting at here is similar things happen with the M$
product.

I'll admit that I dont know how to display the status of the Samba WINS
service. If you can figure out how to have a look at the age/timout of
the record and whether any duplicate names have occurred. Do an nbstat
on the M$ boxes too to see if and conflicts have occurred.

Does using lmhosts (say on the dissappearing servers) stop WINS lookups
(and hence refreshing) after a while? Just a thought.

Might be worthwhile checking whether the four servers in question starts
as a master browser or not, and whether during an election sends
different data to the WINS server. Have a look at the event logs after
startup. I have no idea whether this might cause a problem, it is the
only thing I could come up with when trying to debug our fix.

Apologies for not being much more use on this.

Cheers Bob