[Samba] Real-time file synchronisation

Chris Ricks chris at itoperations.com.au
Thu Sep 30 14:50:36 GMT 2004

Hi all!

I'm looking for a method of doing the following, given that I'm taking care
of a network with a Samba 3.0.6 box (running Mandrake 10.0) acting as a PDC
for about 15 W2K boxes:

. There is a share full of program files and data files on the Samba box
. These files are currently synchronized at logon - all movement is from the
server to the clients via a logon script using XCOPY /D

I want to engineer a solution that would allow updates of the share to have
changes propagated out to clients as the share is updated without the users
being made aware. Essentially, the software vendor is demanding that
everyone run their software from the network share as to ensure consistency,
but I hardly think a 300 MB application with 15 MB (!!) executables (about 8
of them) is really suitable for being "deployed" in that fashion.

All comments appreciated!

Best regards,

Chris