[Samba] Puzzle -- Logon/Login from Windows XP

AndyLiebman at aol.com AndyLiebman at aol.com
Thu Sep 30 14:12:33 GMT 2004

>In a message dated 9/30/2004 1:55:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jon at sutinen.com
> writes:
> Long answer: a limitation of Windows is that when you connect via SMB to
>
> a remote server, all connections to that server must use the same
> credentials. If you are connected to \\sambaserver\datafiles as the user
> *nigel* and wish to connect to \\sambaserver\frederick (which is
> accessible only to the user *frederick*), the Windows workstation
> attempts to connect as *nigel*. In order to connect as *frederick* you
> must break all connections to that server. Simply put, you cannot make
> two connections to a server from one workstation with two different sets
> of credentials.

I think I solved the problem. By setting the "Public Share only available to
members of the Workgroup" as "not readable by guests," Windows will now prompt
me for a username and password when I click on the share.

The curious thing is, Windows still doesn't ask me for a username and
password when I click on the "Samba Server". It shows me the "Public Share" and I
have to click on that to get the prompt. That's different behavior than when I
click on another Windows XP workstation. I don't see any shares until I'm
authenticated.

The other curious thing is, before I made the share "not readable by guests",
I wasn't prompted for the password, but as a guest I couldn't open the folder
anyway. I would get the "Not authorized to access this resource" message.

Is there a problem with "map to guest = bad user" in global settings?

BTW, I'm using Samba 3.0.2a, I believe. Came with Mandrake 10 Official.

Andy Liebman