[Samba] Puzzle -- Logon/Login from Windows XP

AndyLiebman at aol.com AndyLiebman at aol.com
Thu Sep 30 13:41:44 GMT 2004

>In a message dated 9/30/2004 1:55:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jon at sutinen.com
> writes:
> Long answer: a limitation of Windows is that when you connect via SMB to
>
> a remote server, all connections to that server must use the same
> credentials. If you are connected to \\sambaserver\datafiles as the user
> *nigel* and wish to connect to \\sambaserver\frederick (which is
> accessible only to the user *frederick*), the Windows workstation
> attempts to connect as *nigel*. In order to connect as *frederick* you
> must break all connections to that server. Simply put, you cannot make
> two connections to a server from one workstation with two different sets
> of credentials.

Thanks Jon,

To further clarify the situation, User 2 will only want to connect to "User
2-specific shares" after User 1 logs off the Windows workstation. So, in
theory, logging off should close all network connections.

After User 1 logs off, User 2 goes to "Microsoft Windows Network" in Explorer
and sees the following:

   -  Workgroup_Name
           + Samba Server
           + Workstation 1
           + Workstation 2
           + Etc...

If User 2 clicks on "Samba Server" he sees:

   -  Workgroup_Name
           -  Samba Server
              [  ]  Public Share
              [  ]  Printers and Faxes
           + Workstation 1
           + Workstation 2
           + Etc...

What user 2 doesn't see is his own private shares. If he clicks on "Public
Share", then when a few moments later he'll see this in Explorer:

   -  Workgroup_Name
           -  Samba Server
              [  ]  Public Share available to Members of the Workgroup Only
              [  ]  User 2 Private Share A
              [  ]  User 2 Private Share B
              [  ]  Printers and Faxes
           + Workstation 1
           + Workstation 2
           + Etc...

I can create a similar effect if I am NOT logged on to the Windows
workstation as a recognized Samba user by doing the following:

So now, User 2 is logged on as "Non Samba User" and can see the following.

   -  Workgroup_Name
           -  Samba Server
              [  ]  Public Share
              [  ]  Printers and Faxes
           + Workstation 1
           + Workstation 2
           + Etc...

If he clicks on "Public Share," he gets an error message that the share is
not accessible "You might not havepermission to use this network resource.
Contact the administrator... "

However, if he maps the "Public Share" as a network drive, and selects
"Connect using a different username" and inputs his own username and password, when
he comes back to Explorer he sees this:

   -  Workgroup_Name
           -  Samba Server
              [  ]  Public Share available to Members of the Workgroup Only
              [  ]  User 2 Private Share A
              [  ]  User 2 Private Share B
              [  ]  Printers and Faxes
           + Workstation 1
           + Workstation 2
           + Etc...

Same as above, when User 2 logged on to the Windows machine as himself.

So, the question is, why isn't Windows asking for a username and password
when User 2 clicks on Public Share, and instead giving an error message. And why
isn't Windows asking for a username and password when User 2 clicks on "Samba
Server". Why is it showing User 2 the "Public Share available to Members of
the Workgroup Only" when it's not clear yet that User 2 is even a member of the
workgroup?

When I try to connect from one Windows workstation (# 2)  to another (#1) ,
unless I'm logged on to workstation 2 as a user who has an account on
workstation 1, I get a dialog box asking me for a username and password BEFORE I can
see any shares on workstation 1.

Do you think that with my Samba Server the fact that I'm SEEING that "Public
Share available only to members of the workgroup" even though I can't access
it is somehow related to why I'm not getting the username and password prompt?

I really don't want to go down the Domain route. The servers I'm building
need to be accessed by a large number of ever changing workstations ( including
laptops that will come and go) and I don't want to create a nightmare for the
person who has to administer the systems. If they have to constantly add
computers to the domain, that will be a problem.