[Samba] Roaming Profiles:Samba PDC:WinXP:User must be local admin SOLVED

Zach uid000 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 00:22:11 GMT 2004

Truthfully I don't really suspect Paul's way would cause any problems
at all.  However, he indicated in his post that doing it that way
might cause a setting or two to get left out.  It is conceivable that
since you're importing a fully populated profile as a default profile,
windows might opt to leave out a thing or two that couldn't possibly
be part of a clean default profile.  who knows.  you'd have to give it
a try.  He says it works for him though.  The reason i did it the way
I did is because each time you transfer the profile from one user to
another you're letting windows do it gracefully rather than let the
profile "heal" itself out the default profile folder.  that way the
user never knows the difference--it "thinks" the profile was there all
along.  Again, it probably doesn't make a difference, but I only had
two users so the extra steps were reasonable.

As far as win2k, it's been awhile since I ran it at home, and I wasn't
messing with profiles then, so I can't speak to that issue.

The other way to do it would be to manually copy the entire profile
directory over the network to your [profiles] share and set the
permissions & owner on it.  then give samba's profiles command a whirl
on ntuser.dat.  I wasn't able to try it because I couldn't find the
profiles command on my system.

good luck

zach