[Samba] Printing woes (Driver uploading, and .tdb annoyances)

Mac mac at nibsc.ac.uk
Wed Sep 29 19:50:32 GMT 2004

Hi all,

I'm running 3.0.6 on IRIX 6.5 (compiled from sources)

Runs fine for almost all purposes.

But I thought I'd have a look at the extra Samba-3 printing facilites
today, and they've thrown up some real issues.

1st point.

I still haven't managed to get to the bottom of this one, but I can't
always add a printer drive to a Samba-served printer.  I've been
following Chapter 17 of the HOW-TO-Collection [1] and made some
progress.

However it looks like there's an issue with installing drivers on a
printer that is't explicitly listed in smb.conf.  The symptom I get is
that some printers can have drivers added to them, and some can't.  And
some of those that can it doesn't "stick".  It _looks_ like it's worked,
and then when you go onto the next step (First client connection) the
driver's not there!

The uploading seems OKay, files appear in the [print$] share and
ntdrivers.tdb gets changed.  ntprinters.tdb doesn't though.

2nd point.

Hmmm.  All those TDB files in var/locks/printing.  Seem like a pile of
uselessness to me.

What is the way to get them to _accurately- reflect the state of the
underlying UNIX printer queue?  They only seem to be interested in jobs
that have passed through Samba, what about all the others?

Even stopping smbd, deleting the printing/*.tdb files and restarting smbd
doesn't do it.  Help!  (and why???)

I'm sorry if this seems like of a rant than a proper mail.  I can only
say in my defence that I've been at this desk for 12 hours so far
today.

                               Mac
          Assistant Systems Adminstrator @nibsc.ac.uk
                        dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
   Work: +44 1707 641565          Everything else: +44 7956 237670 (anytime)

[1] http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/printing.html