Réf. : [Samba] Puzzle -- Logon/Login from Windows XP

stephane.purnelle at corman.be stephane.purnelle at corman.be
Wed Sep 29 10:07:20 GMT 2004

I think that for resolve your problem, you configure samba for become PDC
and connect all WINDOWS XP workstations to domain.

-----------------------------------
Stéphane PURNELLE                         stephane.purnelle at corman.be
Service Informatique       Corman S.A.           Tel : 00 32 087/342467

|---------+--------------------------------------------------------->
|         |           AndyLiebman at aol.com                           |
|         |           Envoyé par :                                  |
|         |           samba-bounces+stephane.purnelle=corman.be at list|
|         |           s.samba.org                                   |
|         |                                                         |
|         |                                                         |
|         |           29/09/2004 11:57                              |
|         |                                                         |
|---------+--------------------------------------------------------->
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                               |
  |        Pour :   samba at lists.samba.org                                                         |
  |        cc :                                                                                   |
  |        Objet :  [Samba] Puzzle --  Logon/Login from Windows XP                                |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I hope somebody can help me with this. I posed this question a week ago and

got several well-meaning answers that were not very helpful.

I have 10 Windows XP workstations and 100 users. Each of the 100 users has
an
account on my Samba server (running Samba 3.03  on Mandrake Linux 10).

Each user has several shares on the Samba server which are unique to that
user. In other words, only THAT user can access his/her shares, and THAT
user has
read/write priviledges for those shares.

BTW,  I define each user's shares by listings in "smb.username.conf" files
and the "include=smb.%U.conf" option (I may have that backwards it may be
"username.smb.conf" and "include=%U.smb.conf", I have it right on my
server.)

The problem is, I need each of my 100 users to be able to logon to the
Samba
server (with READ/WRITE access to their own shares) from any of the 10
Windows
XP workstations. It's not a problem if the user has an account on the XP
machine that matches the username and password on the Linux Samba server.

But users don't have their own machines and it's impractical to create 100
user accounts on EACH Windows XP workstation. Especially when the list of
users
changes every few months.

So my question is, how can those 100 users logon to the Samba server from
ANY
workstation without having an account on the Windows XP workstation that
matches their username/password on the Samba server?

I have a clumsy workaround right now, but I need something better. This is
what I can do now:

-- I have a Samba share that is accessible to everyone.
-- In Windows XP, if I "map network drive" on that share and select
"connect
using different username", I get an opportunity to enter the username and
password for the specific user.
-- Once the Windows XP machine connects to the Samba server, the Samba
server
"knows" who the user is and displays a list of the user's own unique shares

-- which can then be mapped as well.

The thing that's awkward about this technique, however, is that I'm having
map a public share JUST to communicate to the Samba server the username and

password.

Isn't there a way to get the Samba server to ask for a username and
password
when the user clicks on the name of the Samba server in Explorer?

That's what happens when I click on the name of a Windows XP machine (XP
Machine 1) from another Windows XP machine (XP Machine 2) when I'm logged
on to
Machine 2 with a username and password that does not match an account on XP

Machine 1.  I get a dialog box asking for a username and password. If I
enter a
username that has an account on the first machine -- and the matching
password
-- I connect and get read/write access to all shared drives and folders.

I want to get the same dialog box when I click on the Linux Samba server.
But
how?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards,