[Samba] smbmount curiosity - cant mount share in rc.local

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at interia.pl
Tue Sep 28 19:48:46 GMT 2004

Hello,

I would like to mount a certain share when the server is booted.
So I added the following line at the end of rc.local:

/bin/mount -t smbfs -o guest //backup/archiwizacja$ /mnt/archiwizacja

Interestingly, this doesn't mount anything, nothing is added to the logs
either.

When I enter this line manually, after server is booted, it is mounted.

# mount -t smbfs -o guest //backup/archiwizacja$ /mnt/archiwizacja
# mount
(...)
//backup/archiwizacja$ on /mnt/archiwizacja type smbfs (0)

It makes no difference if I change the netbios name (backup) to IP
address in this rc.local.

Of course rc.local is executed, as other programs from it are ran.

Any ideas?

Tomek