[Samba] Windows XP - Explorer crashes when I try to open a file on a Samba share

Holger Krull holger.krull at gmx.de
Tue Sep 28 18:24:52 GMT 2004

> I am having problems with my samba clients. I am using Windows XP SP1 to
> try to connect to a Samba server I have running on my Gentoo Linux server.

> Windows file browser) locks up hard. Eventually, the title bar of the
> windows will update itself to say "Not Responding", but the only way out
> is to force Explorer to quit and then wait for it to relaunch (or, if I'm
> lucky, sometimes I can pull up the Task Manager and start Explorer that
> way).

Maybe you are experiencing the sendfile problem. Using sendfile is the
default for newer samba versions, but unfortuneately a lot of kernels
don't implement that right.
Try using
use sendfile = no
in your global section

 > socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192

Setting buffer to 8192 usually decreases buffer space on most systems.
This maybe is a leftover in the docs from old times and not useful any more.