[Samba] PDC for XP: empty desktop and desktop.ini showing up

Florian Effenberger floeff at arcor.de
Mon Sep 27 15:00:51 GMT 2004

Hi Robert,

first of all: thanks a lot for taking so much time, I really appreciate
that!

> the profile for a new user is produced
> by the win client machine the user is logged in for the first time.
> The profile is created ( stored ) when this user logs of.

That seems to work here, yes. I get a directory unter my profiles
directory saved on the server:

# ls /usr/local/samba/pdc/profiles/ -l
insgesamt 2
drwx------  14 user1  user1  1024 2004-09-27 16:05 user1

# ls /usr/local/samba/pdc/profiles/user1 -l
insgesamt 529
drwx------  6 user1 user1   1024 2004-09-27 16:05 Anwendungsdaten
drwx------  2 user1 user1   1024 2004-09-27 16:05 Cookies
drwx------  2 user1 user1   1024 2004-09-27 16:01 Desktop
drwx------  2 user1 user1   1024 2004-09-27 16:01 Druckumgebung
drwx------  4 user1 user1   1024 2004-09-27 16:05 Eigene Dateien
drwx------  3 user1 user1   1024 2004-09-27 16:05 Favoriten
drwx------  2 user1 user1   1024 2004-09-27 16:01 Netzwerkumgebung
-rw-------  1 user1 user1 524288 2004-09-27 16:05 NTUSER.DAT
-rw-------  1 user1 user1   1024 2004-09-27 16:05 NTUSER.DAT.LOG
-rw-------  1 user1 user1    190 2004-09-27 16:05 ntuser.ini
drwx------  2 user1 user1   1024 2004-09-27 16:05 Recent
drwx------  2 user1 user1   1024 2004-09-27 16:05 SendTo
drwx------  3 user1 user1   1024 2004-09-27 16:05 Startmenü
drwx------  6 user1 user1   1024 2004-09-27 16:01 UserData
drwx------  2 user1 user1   1024 2004-09-27 16:01 Vorlagen

Does that one look like your profile directory? Do the permissions seem
correct to you?

> So the first time profile is the first time profile from the win machine
> ( whatever this is designed ) , so if you have leaving this all at default
> it is the win standard thema relating to the win version.

I did not change anything, but the theme is definitely wrong. ;-(
If I create a local user, it's just fine.

What is your user backend? Do you use tdbsam as well and create your
users via pdbedit?

> Therfor you should not mix the win versions if you use  roaming profiles.

It's an XP-only environment.

> The default function from profiles is to cache the profiles on the local
>  win client too, so it merges the cache and the server profile
> at login this produces miracles sometimes, so best way is to to stop
> caching of profiles on the client machines , this can be done by
> reg entries or policies ( ntconfig.pol ).

I tried that one out by using Win-2Kx-XPP-DeleteCachedProfiles.reg from
the Samba distribution. Didn't change anything about my problem. :-(

> After all ,things that you do to a profile ( maybe set showing hidden
> files of explorer etc ) are stored in the profile, and for sure should
> be stored on samba at logout, relogin should bring up the last time
> created entries.
> Yes i have win xp srv pack 2 german clients.
> did you controlled if the profile gets really stored at logout,
> perhaps you have permissions problems on the profile share
> so it cant be rewritten at logout
> the log should show up more info

It seems to work, as any change made is saved to the server.

Could you send me your smb.conf, please?

Thanks a lot!
Florian