[Samba] lost trust with win2k -> win2003 upgrade

Tim sambalist at darkgate.net
Mon Sep 27 14:45:51 GMT 2004

Hi all.

We are trying to migrate our domain controllers to win2003 and
for some reason, samba loses its trust relationship with the server
once the PDC has been upgraded.

I'm running Samba 2.2.11.

Normally, "wbinfo -t" returns "Secret is good.", but after the server
was upgraded to win2003, the trust was lost and it started saying
"Secret is bad."

The wierd thing is, when I start up winbind, the logs show that it
connects and it says "Joining domain XXX" just like normal.  But when
I try and mount a share, it fails.  I'm assuming this is because
the trust is gone.

The only way to fix this is to re-join the domain, but this will
make migration far from seamless.  Is there anything I can do so
I don't have to re-join each samba host to the domains again?

Regards,

Tim.