[Samba] PDC for XP: empty desktop and desktop.ini showing up

rruegner robert at ruegner.org
Mon Sep 27 14:17:44 GMT 2004

Hi Florian,
the profile for a new user is produced
by the win client machine the user is logged in for the first time.
The profile is created ( stored ) when this user logs of.
So the first time profile is the first time profile from the win machine
( whatever this is designed ) , so if you have leaving this all at default
it is the win standard thema relating to the win version.
Therfor you should not mix the win versions if you use  roaming profiles.
The default function from profiles is to cache the profiles on the local
  win client too, so it merges the cache and the server profile
at login this produces miracles sometimes, so best way is to to stop
caching of profiles on the client machines , this can be done by
reg entries or policies ( ntconfig.pol ).
After all ,things that you do to a profile ( maybe set showing hidden
files of explorer etc ) are stored in the profile, and for sure should
be stored on samba at logout, relogin should bring up the last time
created entries.
Yes i have win xp srv pack 2 german clients.
did you controlled if the profile gets really stored at logout,
perhaps you have permissions problems on the profile share
so it cant be rewritten at logout
the log should show up more info
Regards