[Samba] PDC for XP: empty desktop and desktop.ini showing up

Florian Effenberger floeff at arcor.de
Mon Sep 27 11:59:18 GMT 2004

Hello there,

I'm trying to set up Samba as a PDC for Windows XP Professional (SP2).
It seems to work fine. Machine accounts are created automatically,
passwords between Unix and Samba users get synced, I can logon, profile
directories are created - but there's a problem.

I know that this is well-known, but it drives me crazy and I don't know
any solution.

First of all, the initial profile is nearly empty. The XP style has been
disabled and my desktop shows no icons at all. It just looks "wrong" and
"half-made". Apart from that, the first logon works fine. However, any
subsequent logons display that nasty desktop.ini file in an editor.

In log.smbd I can't see (at default debug level) any error messages,
just the normal "X connected to service Y".

I guess that my empty desktop problem and the desktop.ini appearance
have something in common, but I don't know how to solve.

Does anybody know how to make Samba a working PDC for XP?

Thanks!
Florian