[Samba] Getting Samba to ask for Username and Password

AndyLiebman at aol.com AndyLiebman at aol.com
Mon Sep 27 10:24:13 GMT 2004

techjedi at gmail.com > writes:

> all XP machines have an account to log in to themselves/network, and
> that is what is passed to the samba.  if that username is the same as
> in samba, but different passwords, it will not let you in.  If it
> completely doesnt exist, it should prompt you for one..and finally -
> you can set samba up to allow guest, meaning if the username doesnt
> exist, it signs them in asa guest account (however, if the username
> does exist, and it is a bad password, it denies access - there is a
> flag to turn that off as well, but then things get confusing with the
> worng username/passwords allowing access)

Thanks for the reply, but you are missing my point. I know that if a user has
a username and password on a Windows XP machine, and he/she has the same
username and password on the samba server, the user will get in.

But I have a situation where I have 60 users who have accounts on the samba
server, and 10 workstations where ANY of the 60 users might sit down to access
the server. I don't want to create user accounts on every Windows XP
workstation for ALL 60 users. But I want all users to be able to access the samba
server from every Windows XP workstation.

Right now, if create a new username and password on the samba server and try
to log in from a Windows workstation where that username doesn't have an
account -- by clicking on the name of the samba server in the place where I see
other computers on the network --  the samba server simply rejects my log in
attempt. It doesn't do whatever is required to pop up a dialog box on my Windows
XP machine and ask for the username and password.

I'm wondering if there is a specific line in the smb.conf file that brings
about this action?

I should note that currently I have my samba server configured so that each
user sees one public folder, and then all the other folders that are available
are specific to that user (which I achieve by using "include = %U.smb.conf" in
my general settings.